Our most popular banana bread is moist, delicious, and absolutely packed with banana flavor. This Allrecipes community favorite will quickly become your go-to banana bread recipe!
Banana Bread Ingredients
You likely already have all the ingredients you’ll need for this banana bread recipe on hand. If not, here’s what to add to your grocery list:
- Flour: All-purpose flour gives the banana bread structure.
- Baking soda: Baking soda acts as a learner, which means it helps the banana bread rise.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the overall flavor, but it won’t make the loaf taste salty.
- Butter: A stick of butter lends richness, moisture, and irresistible flavor.
- Brown sugar: Brown sugar sweetens things up and adds a hint of warmth.
- Eggs: Eggs act as a binding agent, which means they hold the batter together.
- Bananas: Of course, you’ll need bananas! Choose overripe bananas.
How to Make Banana Bread
You’ll find the full, step-by-step recipe below — but here’s a brief overview of what you can expect when you make this simple banana bread:
- Combine the dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in another bowl. Add the eggs and mashed bananas.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture.
- Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven.
How to Make Banana Bread Moist
This banana bread is super moist thanks to butter, eggs, and brown sugar (which adds more moisture than white sugar). Plus, mashed bananas have plenty of moisture on their own. Make sure you store the banana bread properly to keep it moist for several days.
How Long to Bake Banana Bread
This banana bread recipe should be perfectly baked after about an hour in an oven preheated to 350 degrees F. You’ll know it’s done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Make sure you let the bread sit in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out. Otherwise, it might not stay in one piece.
Tips and Tricks From An Expert
“This is a no-fuss recipe,” according to culinary producer Nicole McLaughlin (a.k.a. NicoleMcMom). “I love plain, simple banana bread.” Here are a few banana bread tips and tricks from the expert:
- Avoid choosing green bananas. Instead, opt for ripe bananas that are yellow with a few brown spots.
- The best and easiest way to mash bananas? With a fork!
- The recipe calls for a 9×5 loaf pan, but it’s fine if you have something smaller – just increase the cooking time by a few minutes.
How to Store Banana Bread
Place a paper towel at the bottom of an airtight container or in a zip-top bag. Place the cooled banana bread on top of it, then cover the loaf with another paper towel. Seal the container tightly.
How Long Does Banana Bread Last?
Banana bread will last for about four days at room temperature. If you freeze it, banana bread will last two to four months.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread?
Yes, you can freeze banana bread! Wrap the cooled loaf tightly in one layer of storage wrap, then one layer of aluminum foil. You can also freeze each slice individually if you don’t plan to thaw the whole loaf at once.
Allrecipes Community Tips and Praise
“This was a very simple and quick recipe to make,” according to LESLIE J. “I only added one teaspoon of vanilla extract just because I like the flavor of vanilla. It has a firm crust with a moist middle.”
“Simple recipe that never fails,” says Jheley. “We Love it! It’s now my go-to! I’ve added nuts, vanilla, cinnamon, and chocolate chips (not all at once, but as variations just to experiment a bit and they’ve all been great) I’ve also made them as muffins and it literally never fails!”
“This turned out so yummy,” raves Britt Pfaff. “I’m pretty sure this is the recipe I use every year but always forget! The only change I made was adding vanilla extract and walnuts. I doubled the recipe to make two loaves and my 6-year-old daughter loved making it with me!”
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 ⅓ cups mashed overripe bananas
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Beat brown sugar and butter with an electric mixer in a separate large bowl until smooth. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan.
Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 60 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.